Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Last Chance (Part Three)

LAST CHANCE



a film by

Paul Bowler

all rights reserved


beardyfilums@gmail.com


PART ONE PART TWO PART THREE PART FOUR


This is the fourth draft of this script and I had thought it the definitive draft until I did a read through with my friends. They highlighted some flaws and more importantly gave solid advise on how to deal with those flaws.


I like this script and because my friends were so positive about it, I am looking forward to working on the fifth draft. Feel free to comment and/or email me your opinions.






EXT. JOHN HENRY’S HIDE OUT - DAY


John Henry drives towards the warehouse. He sees two cars parked at the entrance of the warehouse, there are no people but he hears gun shots.


JOHN HENRY

Fuck.


He stops and quickly gets out of the car his gun in his hand. He rushes to the cars, while being careful to check if there is anyone about.

He sees no one and moves towards the door of the warehouse. He reaches his head around to look inside and pulls it back quickly. He then looks again, taking more time.

As he looks in, there are four men with their backs to him, shooting towards the strong room.


LINDA (O.S.)

Leave me alone you bastards. He’s not here.


A shot comes through the door, almost hitting John Henry. Linda is shooting at the men with an automatic rifle. John Henry stands up and takes a deep breath. He checks his gun. When he is happy with it he steps away from the wall and then steps casually into the warehouse.

He shoots the two men to his left before they know what's going on. The other two turn and John Henry shoots the third before being forced to jump for cover. The last man keeps shooting as he runs out the door.

John Henry changes the clip in his gun before running after him. He is already in the car with the engine running. He speeds off as John Henry empties his clip into the back of the car, breaking the rear windscreen and punching holes in the body work but failing to stop the car.

He looks exasperated for a few moments before remembering Linda. He runs into the warehouse and has to dive to the ground as Linda tries shooting him.


JOHN HENRY

It’s me, stop fucking shooting.


Linda stands up from behind the stolen car and looks at John Henry. She drops the gun and begins to cry and runs to John henry.

John Henry stands and hugs her close.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Well done babe. You held off four shooters. My brave bitch.


Linda continues to cry. John Henry holds her away from him at arms length and looks at her.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

You saved both our lives babe, but I missed the last one so

we need to get out of here quickly.


Linda nods in understanding. She begins to walk almost lifelessly towards the room, but she stops and without turning around.


LINDA

John Henry, will this shit stop if we get the Vampire?


John Henry looks at her back, pausing before answering.


JOHN HENRY

We will get to start all over again, somewhere where all this’ll

just be a bad and fading memory. I promise you that.


Linda nods and starts walking again.


LINDA

I’d like that.


EXT. WAREHOUSE - DAY


John Henry and Linda are standing outside the warehouse, with bags on the ground beside them. They are looking into the warehouse, at the two cars, the bodies and the strong room. They look at everything for a while. Then John Henry takes out a lighter. Before he can open it, Linda reaches over and takes it off of him.


LINDA

You got to do this gangster shit the last time. My turn now baby.


JOHN HENRY

But that was just a little apartment?


Linda looks at him with a ‘not up for discussion’ expression. John Henry grins at her and gives her a quick peck on the cheek. He then starts picking up the bags and loading them into the car.

Linda waits until he is standing next to the driver’s side door before lighting the lighter and then throws it towards the door, where a trail of gasoline catches fire. She turns and they both get into the car.

They drive off and visible through the rear windscreen, the warehouse explodes.

They both grin.


LINDA

Blowing shit up and chasing vampires.

Fuck but you are entertaining company baby.

She leans over and kisses him.


INT CALVIN’S DUNGEON


Calvin is laying on the floor in a large circle of light. His bloody sword on the bloody plank next to him. Karlson is sitting on a chair at the edge of the light watching him.


CALVIN

Was I out long?


KARLSON

Only a day. Your powers of recovery are returning to their normal potency.


CALVIN

Now I understand the attitude of the guards.


KARLSON

It is difficult to not take some pleasure in the humbling of those we most fear.


CALVIN

They still fear me? I am in their power completely!


KARLSON

The moment I see one of them lose their fear, I send them away.


Calvin looks at him confused from his position on the ground, then with a struggle turns onto his elbow to look at Karlson.


CALVIN

And you?


KARLSON

There are at least five cross bows aimed at your heart and

head as we speak.


CALVIN

I thought we had some measure of trust?


Karlson snorts in derision.


KARLSON

You attacked, what you thought to be a defenceless

woman, the very moment you were out of my sight.


Calvin groans and collapses back onto his back. Karlson stands and walks into the dark. He returns with a bucket of water and a bowl of stew. He places them next to Calvin then returns to his chair.


KARLSON (CONT’D)

Eat, despite what you think, the food will help restore you.


CALVIN

She’s like me, but so much more. I’ve met some of my kind, but none so above me in strength.


KARLSON

Yes, she is remarkable.


CALVIN

And she controls you all?


KARLSON

We serve her willingly Huguenot.

We fear her displeasure

not her power. That is what

puts her so above creatures like you.


Calvin jerks up and looks at Karlson both angrily and confused.


CALVIN

She’s just another blood sucker, who happens to know a f

ew tricks and you are all her slaves.


Karlson shakes his head ruefully.


KARLSON

I hope you manage to learn the truth boy. I hope you learn.


He stands up to walk away.


KARLSON (CONT’D)

You will be dining with her again tonight. I assume you

have wit enough to not need the plank this time?


Calvin gets up with superhuman speed and throws the plank over Karlson's head. Karlson doesn't flinch.


KARLSON (CONT’D)

Well at least you know enough not to harm me boy.

Perhaps you are not as stupid as I fear.

Now eat, the sun will rise soon and you need to sleep.


He walks away. Calvin looks at the darkness frustrated then down at the food. He plonks himself down next to it and begins to tentatively pick at the stew.


INT. CASTLE DINING ROOM - NIGHT


Calvin and My Lady sit alone at the large table. They are silent as they drink wine and both eat the large amount of food on offer. My Lady with gusto, Calvin much more slowly.

My Lady notices this and smiles.


MY LADY

You will be surprised how quickly your human appetites will return to you Calvin.


CALVIN

Of course My Lady.


MY LADY

And I want you to know that I hold no grudge

about our previous engagement.


CALVIN

Thank you My Lady.


MY LADY

You were surprisingly fast.


CALVIN

Please My Lady, my pride does not require assuaging.


MY LADY

Oh I don't say it to feed your manly vanity.

I say it because it means I don’t have

decades to teach you what you need to

know. Your physical progress is such that

I will have to kill you quite soon, if

you fail to progress your other qualities.


Calvin looks at her in shock, at her casual attitude to killing him.


CALVIN

You will kill me if I fail? I don't even understand

what you are trying to teach me.


My Lady smiles at him.


MY LADY

Do try the beef, I’ve been breeding this herd for quite

some time now. I doubt there’s a better

cut of meat in the Kingdom.


Calvin, on automatic, takes a cut and begins to chew it dutifully.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

No, that won’t do. You must experience the meat. Taste it.

Remember your human desire for good food and fine wine.


She pours him some more wine. He takes it and after swallowing the meat reluctantly, drinks the wine. He chokes a bit on it. My Lady smiles at him.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

If you can learn to eat as a human you will be more than half way

to learning how to again be a human.


CALVIN (ANGRILY)

But I am not human. I am more than human. We are

more than human.


MY LADY

The stupid arrogance of brute strength has not served

our kind well Calvin. There are few of us still in

existence and that number grows smaller every

year. Think on this Calvin, before Karlson began

to teach you your real potential, how long do you

think you would have survived if he

had set his mind to killing you?


Calvin looks at her thoughtfully.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

That is how he and I met. He was quite the enthusiastic

Vampire Hunter. Once on my trail he never let up.

Three whole years he pursued me. Lost his

fortune and title. People thought

him mad, but he knew the truth.


She pauses and smiles with the appearance of joyful reminiscence.


CALVIN

What happened?


MY LADY

His men kept getting injured but never too badly, just

enough that they could no longer hunt me. Eventually

he was all alone, when he came into a log

cabin not far from here. He was half starved

and almost dead from the cold. He stepped inside

, saw me and drew his sword and promptly collapsed.


She giggles like a girl.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Oh he was so angry when he realised I was nursing

him back to health. I had to restrain him by day

of course, but every time I untied him he would

check for teeth marks. After some

weeks he stopped looking.


She pauses and stares off into space for a while. She then looks a little embarrassed at her behaviour. Calvin interrupts her.


CALVIN

What’s your true name My Lady.


MY LADY

Oh, my given name is in a language long dead and

forgotten, you would struggle to get your

tongue around it. How is the wine?


Calvin takes a gulp and then forces a smile.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

You must concentrate Calvin and remember the human

pleasures. It is important.


CALVIN

Do you not drink blood at all?


MY LADY

I have tasted blood certainly, so I can attest to it’s potency,

but it’s necessity is a myth that is destroying our kind.


Calvin looks at her in shock.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Maybe that is enough revelation for one night Calvin.

Return to your cell. Practice with your sword and think

on what I have said. If you doubt the truth of my words,

think on this, you are stronger now than

when you first came here. And no blood!


My Lady rings her small bell. Five guards and Karlson walk in. Calvin stands and wordlessly goes with the guards as servants take his plate away and put down a new one for Karlson.

Karlson sits and they wait for the servants to go.


KARLSON

Well?


MY LADY

I told him about the blood.


Karlson nods and pours himself some wine.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Work him hard my heart.


Karlson nods again and begins to eat. My Lady looks thoughtfully after Calvin for a few moments before returning her gaze to Karlson. She watches his poised manners admiringly.


EXT. JOHN HENRY’S CAR - DAY


John Henry and Linda are driving through a run down commercial district. John Henry suddenly pulls into the parking lot of an independent hardware store.


LINDA

What you doing baby?


JOHN HENRY

Won’t be long, just need a few things for tonight.


LINDA

Tonight? We’re taking him tonight?


John Henry pauses with his door open. He turns back to Linda.


JOHN HENRY

We don’t have time to wait honey.


LINDA

OK, tonight it is then.


John Henry kisses her and gets out of the car.


INT. OLD FASHIONED LOCAL HARDWARE STORE - DAY


John Henry passes the counter where PASTOR TIME, a very tall, skinny bearded middle aged man, is dealing with an elderly customer. The wall behind the counter is covered in religious iconography and posters.

John Henry walks around the store until he finds a section dedicated to chains of all sizes. They are in large coils. He picks up a few, unsure as to what exactly he looking for.

As he is looking.


PASTOR TIME

Have you accepted Jesus as your lord and saviour Brother?


John Henry spins around, a hand going for his gun. When he sees who it is, he quickly takes his hand away, but not quickly enough that Pastor Time doesn't notice what his intention was.

Pastor Time grins and waits. John Henry stifles his anger and looks back at the chains.


JOHN HENRY

I need to buy some chain.


PASTOR TIME

Then I will serve Jesus today by selling chains to a sinner.


John Henry looks at him, assessing what threat this mad man poses.


PASTOR TIME (CONT’D)

And what type of chain will glorify Our Saviour, Brother Sinner?


John Henry pauses, trying to think of an answer.


JOHN HENRY

Lets say I want to lift an engine out of a Chevy. What would work for that?


Pastor Time immediately reaches for a relatively slim gauge chain.


PASTOR TIME

This chain, Brother Sinner, may look light but it will

hold whatever you need to hold.


JOHN HENRY

Right. I’ll take 10 foot of that then and I’ll want

eight padlocks just as strong.


He reaches for some cash.


PASTOR TIME

Praise Jesus. May all your endeavours glorify our

Lord and Saviour, Brother Sinner.


EXT. HARDWARE STORE - DAY


John Henry carries a heavy box to the car and puts it into the trunk and sits in the car. He looks nonplussed.


LINDA

What's wrong baby?


JOHN HENRY

Nothing Hon, nothing, just too many crazies walking the Earth.


He starts the car and drives off.


EXT. COMMERCIAL BUILDING - EVENING


John Henry’s car is parked outside a large building. He looks around before walking to the door. He breaks the window and opens the door. He looks behind him and nods to Linda who gets out of the car and opens the trunk. They quickly unload the car and take the two big bags inside.


INT. COMMERCIAL BUILDING - EVENING


There are two floors, the lower floor is open plan, desks around the edge, but the middle free. The ceiling is two floors up, another series of desks are on the upper level, looking down on the lower floor.

They carry the bags to the upper level. They walk to a desk near the top of the stairs. There are windows all round the upper level. With their blinds down.

John Henry sweeps a desk clean and puts the chain and padlocks on it. He sweeps a nearby desk clean and starts unloading weapons from the two bags onto it.

Linda looks on and then chooses a third desk to sweep clear, she sits at it and takes her box out.


JOHN HENRY

Not yet baby. We have to go now.


Linda looks pained but doesn't argue.


LINDA

Can I bring it with me?


JOHN HENRY

No need baby. We will be back in two hours tops.


Linda looks wistfully at her box but stands and walks over to John Henry. He hands her a small automatic gun which she puts in her hand bag.

John Henry looks at her.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

You ready?


LINDA

As ready as I’ll ever be.


He kisses her.


JOHN HENRY

Right, lets get started.


INT. CASTLE DINING ROOM - NIGHT


A blind folded My Lady is standing between Calvin and Karlson as they spar. Karlson has a sword in either hand, while Calvin has one.

As they spar, the aim of the game becomes clear. Calvin must protect My Lady, standing on the wrong side of her, from Karlson's attacks.

My Lady has a smile on her face and takes every opportunity to get in Calvin’s way. As they spar, Karlson becomes more and more exhausted looking, until My Lady manages to trip up Calvin, and one of Karlson’s swords nicks the back of her neck.

She immediately takes off her blind fold and triumphantly looks at Calvin.


MY LADY

A hit, the game is Karlson's.


She then turns to share in the triumph of Karlson’s victory, but finds him bent over, leaning heavily on his swords and struggling for breath. She goes to help him, but he holds a hand up to stop her. She nods and looks at Calvin uncertainly.

She then walks to the door and opens it.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

We will have some refreshments now.


SERVANT (O.S.)

Yes My Lady.


With My Lady’s back turned, Calvin relieves Karlson of his swords and carries/leads him to a chair. My Lady has a quick look over her shoulder to see that everything is alright, but then looks away again.

Calvin loosens Karlson’s collar. Karlson begins to get his breath back.


CALVIN (WHISPERING)

Sorry Captain.


Karlson waves him away and with a few deep breaths regains his countenance. The refreshments arrive and are handed to My Lady at the door. She looks around again to see that Karlson is recovered and when she sees he has, she brings the platter to the table.

She pours wine for Karlson and Calvin. She sits next to Karlson, her hands in her lap, pensively. The back of her neck to Karlson. Calvin is silent and uncomfortable.

Karlson looks at the nick on her neck. He takes a handkerchief and wipes the nick. As My Lady feels his touch she reaches a hand up and places it on his hand on her neck.


MY LADY

I am sorry my heart.


KARLSON

Don’t be my love. At least now we know I have nothing

left to offer your charge.


My lady turns around and looks at Karlson lovingly.


MY LADY

Do you think he is ready?


Karlson nods. My Lady purses her lips thoughtfully then looks at Calvin.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

The final test it is to be then.


CALVIN

And what test is this? A hundred swordsmen? A thousand?


Karlson looks at him sympathetically.


KARLSON

Nothing so easy my friend.


Calvin looks worried.


EXT. MOUNTAIN LAKE - NIGHT


Karlson, My Lady and Calvin stand at the lake side, which is in sight of the castle. There is a boat on the beach. Calvin checks his sword.


MY LADY

You can leave that here Calvin, it won’t help you in this.


Calvin reluctantly takes his scabbard off and hands it to My Lady. She hands him a sealed letter in return.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Open this when Karlson tells you to.


Karlson jumps into the boat and waits for Calvin to join him. My Lady pushes them off and she and Karlson share a nod.


EXT. GARY AND JAMIE’S APARTMENT BUIDLING - NIGHT


John Henry and Linda stand at the door and wait for Pete to open the door. He is not very enthusiastic about it, but still does so.

John Henry smiles at him as he and Linda walk in.


INT. APARTMENT BUILDING LOBBY - NIGHT


JOHN HENRY

Tell Gary and Jamie I’m here and I got

what they wanted.


Pete looks at them both uncertainly. But picks up the phone. He turns away so John Henry can’t hear him. When he is finished he hangs up and turns back to John Henry.


PORTER

They'll be right down.


John Henry nods and relaxes.

In a few moments, Gary gets out of the elevator.


GARY HARRIS

John Henry I did not expect you so soon and

you brought a friend.


Linda looks at him seductively. He smiles back at her.


JOHN HENRY

Well I do what I can Gary. I decided to blow off the whole day,

so here I am, ready to blow off the night as well.


Gary grins and holds his arm out for Linda.


GARY HARRIS

Please come this way.


They step into the elevator.


INT. GARY AND JAMIE’S APARTMENT - NIGHT


As the three of them step into the apartment, they see Jamie smoking a joint on the couch. John Henry and Linda nod to each other and both take out their hand guns.

Gary is so surprised that he doesn't let go of Linda’s arm, even when she points her gun at his face. John Henry steps towards Jamie. When it dawns on Gary that there is a gun pointed at him, he lets go of Linda's arm.


GARY HARRIS

What the Fuck?


JOHN HENRY

Sorry about this boys.


JAMIE HARRIS

Fuck you, you lying piece of shit.


John Henry looks at Linda who takes out a roll of tape from her hand bag and throws it to him. He catches it and looks at Jamie.


JOHN HENRY

Bathroom.


Jamie looks as if he is about to refuse, so John Henry leans in closer, putting his gun right in Jamie's face.


GARY HARRIS

Move Jamie. Now!


Jamie looks a little rebellious but gets up and walks off with John Henry. Gary looks at Linda.


GARY HARRIS (CONT’D)

What now?


LINDA

We go meet daddy.


GARY HARRIS

I figured.


INT. BATHROOM - NIGHT


John Henry tapes Jamie’s hands and feet securely in the bath.


JAMIE HARRIS

You won’t get away with this.


JOHN HENRY

Possibly.


John Henry puts a strip of tape over Jamie’s mouth.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Someone will be along to find you. So relax.


Jamie is obviously not going to relax and shoots John Henry a very angry glare.


INT. GARY AND JAMIE’S APARTMENT - NIGHT


John Henry returns to Linda and Gary. He looks at Gary as he puts his gun away.


JOHN HENRY

He’s OK and he will stay that way as long as you

do what you are told.


GARY HARRIS

You’re going for our step father?


JOHN HENRY

Yes we are and I don’t think he would appreciate

any heroics from you. He can look after himself.

So behave and you and Jamie will be back

here and high by tomorrow evening.

Gary looks at him unconvinced


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Alright let me try it another way. If you do anything

that makes me have to pull my gun, I

will Fuck you up permanently.

Now do you understand that?


Gary nods. They turn back to the elevator. John Henry reaches into Gary’s pocket and pulls out the elevator key.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Don’t forget I have this.


INT. GARY AND JAMIE’S APARTMENT BUIDLING LOBBY - NIGHT


John Henry steps out of the elevator, followed by Linda, who is again linking arms with Gary. Linda and John Henry are smiling, Gary’s smile looks a little forced. Linda whispers in his ear.


LINDA

Be convincing now.


His smile becomes more natural. They walk to the Porter’s Station where Pete stands to greet them.


JOHN HENRY

We’re hitting a few clubs. Jamie is feeling a bit off

colour, could you check in on him when your shift ends?


PORTER

Of course.


Gary smiles at him and the three walk towards the doors. Pete walks in front of them to open the doors. Gary whispers to John Henry.


GARY HARRIS

Thank you.


EXT. NEAR CALVIN’S MANSION - NIGHT


John Henry stops the car. Linda is in the back and Gary is in the passenger seat. John Henry gets out and opens the door for Linda to get out.


JOHN HENRY

We won’t be long.


He goes to the trunk and takes out a small bag, he hands it to her.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

If this goes wrong you’ll hear it, there’s enough money

here to get you far away from here.

Don't look back. Understood?


Linda looks at him nervously, but takes the money and nods. They hug and he returns to the car. He walks to the passenger side and motions to Gary to move over to the driver’s seat. Gary slides over and then John Henry gets in the back.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Just as we discussed Gary and no one will get hurt,

not even your step father.


Gary doesn’t look at him, but nods in understanding. John Henry puts on a pair of leather gloves and takes his gun out and presses it against the back of Gary’s seat and covers himself with a blanket.

Gary restarts the car and drives.


EXT. ROWING BOAT ON LAKE - NIGHT


Karlson is rowing steadily. Calvin watching him in silence. They suddenly hit land which jerks the boat somewhat.


KARLSON

Get out.


CALVIN

What?


KARLSON

Get out.


Calvin gets out as Karlson stands and uses an oar to push off again. When he has turned and started rowing back he shouts out to Calvin.


KARLSON (CONT’D)

The sun will be up in an hour, read the letter.


Calvin looks at the disappearing boat in confused anger. He then subsides and breaks the seal on the letter.


EXT. CALVIN’S MANSION GATES - NIGHT


Gary stops the car at the gate and one of the guards approaches him. He lowers his window.


GUARD ONE

What the Fuck is this piece of shit Gary? Please don’t tell me you are becoming a boring bastard.


Gary laughs at the joke.


GARY HARRIS

Some total shit took a chunk out of the Ferrari and this is the loaner.


GUARD ONE

Damn, did you see who did it? Messing with that car must be some sort of a capital crime.


GARY HARRIS

No, got clean away. Is he in?


GUARD ONE

Yes, will I call ahead?


GARY HARRIS

No need, I’ll go straight up.


The Guard gives him a very relaxed salute before signalling to the other guards, seen and unseen that the car is OK. Gary drives through and John Henry whispers to Gary.


JOHN HENRY

Well done. Nearly finished now.


INT. CALVIN’S MANSION - NIGHT


John Henry has his gun drawn as he follows Gary up a plush hallway.


JOHN HENRY

This part won’t be easy for you Gary. You need

to take him out for me. If he sees me things

will get messy and people might die.


Gary stops and turns back to face him.


GARY HARRIS

What the Fuck do you want me to do?


John Henry reaches into a pocket and takes out a syringe.


JOHN HENRY

Use this. It’ll put him down but won’t kill him and won’t harm, him.


GARY HARRIS

What is it?


JOHN HENRY

Some good H.


GARY HARRIS

Fuck that.


JOHN HENRY

Two things, first drugs are my business, this will

do the job without harming him and second, if

you don’t then it’s up to me and this.


He brandishes his gun to Gary. Gary looks at him suspiciously and angrily but reluctantly takes the syringe.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Good man, just stab and plunge.


They start walking again and approach a huge double door.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

This it?


GARY HARRIS

This is his library, he hasn’t really left it since (beat) since the hospital.


John Henry nods.


JOHN HENRY

OK, go to work.


John Henry stands with his back to one of the doors as Gary walks in through the other, without closing the door behind him.


EXT. SMALL ISLAND - NIGHT


Calvin turns the page to capture the moonlight.


MY LADY (V.O.)

Dearest Calvin, we now come to the crux of

your training. You stand on an island

which is reputed to be the place that several

Christians were martyred centuries ago. The

Church considers it and the Lake to be one

of the most holy places in Christendom.

Every year, the water is blessed by a

bishop and a plethora of priests. You find

yourself surrounded by the largest body of

Holy Water in existence and dawn approaches.

You will find me in your cell. Your friend forever.


Calvin looks at the letter again, turns it around looking for more writing. He looks at the water lapping close to his feet and involuntarily steps back in fear. He looks at the letter again. He then looks at the sky in confusion and fear.


INT. CALVIN’S CELL - NIGHT


My Lady and Karlson are sitting on chairs, waiting.


KARLSON

I’m sorry My Lady.


MY LADY

Thank you My Heart, but there is no other way. Perhaps he will overcome this.


KARLSON

How many have done so?


My Lady looks sorrowful.


MY LADY

Not one.


Karlson stands and walks over to My Lady and kneels beside her and embraces her.


KARLSON

You have done all that you can My Lady.


MY LADY

I hope so My Heart. I hope so.


INT. HALLWAY OUTSIDE CALVIN’S LIBRARY - NIGHT


John Henry is waiting and listening. He then hears raised voices and the sound of something being knocked over and breaking. He immediately rushes through the door.


INT. CALVIN’S LIBRARY


As he enters he sees Gary cradling an unconscious Calvin. A syringe sticking from his neck. John Henry rushes over and takes out the syringe. He wraps it up and puts it in his pocket. He then checks Calvin’s pulse and nods approvingly.


JOHN HENRY

He’s fine, now lift him and lets get back to the car.


Gary struggles to get Calvin over his shoulder.


EXT. SAME SPOT THEY LEFT LINDA - NIGHT


Gary parks the car next to Linda as John Henry throws off his blanket and motions Gary to move over to the passenger side. Linda gets in as John manoeuvres himself over the seats into the driver’s seat. He drives off slowly and quietly.


LINDA

Well?


JOHN HENRY

He’s in the trunk.


Linda sits back, relieved.


LINDA

So we might pull this shit off after all.


John Henry doesn't answer but does smile a little as he drives.


EXT. RESIDENTIAL AREA - NIGHT


John Henry's car is parked and Linda is holding a gun on Gary. They watch John Henry slowly walking along a row of parked cars. He is looking at the cars carefully. Then he stops at one and looks around then looks at the car again. He then takes out a flat iron and opens the car in moments, he disappears inside and the sound of the engine starting can be heard. He pops the trunk.

He walks back to his own car and takes Calvin from his trunk and walks back to the car and puts him in the trunk. He returns and opens the passenger side door open for Gary.


JOHN HENRY

Out.


Gary reluctantly gets out. John Henry leads him to the now empty trunk.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

Get in.


Gary doesn't argue and begins to get in. As he gets in, John Henry takes out a syringe and sticks Gary in the thigh with it while covering his mouth.

In moments, Gary collapses into the trunk lifelessly. Calvin quickly begins to tie and gag Gary as Linda gets out of the car and calmly walks over to their new car. She gets into the passenger side and waits.

When he is finished tying up Gary, John Henry pats him on the head.


JOHN HENRY (CONT’D)

I'm sorry about this boy, but better this than you know

the truth about your family. When you

wake up all this will be over.


John Henry then closes the trunk carefully and walks back to the car he is stealing. He gets in and they drive off.


INT. CALVIN’S CELL - NIGHT


My Lady and Karlson are again sitting and waiting. They look up as they hear guards rushing in. Three guards appear carrying a blackened, charred and smoking body. They carefully deposit the body on the ground near My Lady.

She rushes to the body’s side as Karlson looks at the guards.


KARLSON

Report.


SERGEANT

We heard screaming and found him all burned up

trying to crawl to the castle Captain. We thought

he was dead for sure and with the sun coming

up we thought we should bring him here.


There is a rasping sound from the body as it tries to breath into its burned lungs. The guards looks frightened.


KARLSON

Well done Sergeant. Take your men back to

the guardhouse and get as drunk as you can,

then drink some more. Anyone opens their

mouth about this and they will answer to me

and then to My Lady. Do I make myself clear?


The Guards salute and with one more fearful look at the smoking ruin on the floor, they file out.


Karlson joins My Lady next to it.


MY LADY

Calvin. Calvin can you hear me?


Calvin struggles to make words, but opens his eyes as Karlson and My Lady peer at his ruined face. My Lady fixes him with a beautiful smile.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

You live my friend.


She gathers him up in her arms and Karlson places a hand on her shoulder, sharing in her joy. There is a sound as Calvin attempts to speak. My Lady lowers him from her arms a bit to listen.


CALVIN

Why?


MY LADY

I had to know your character Calvin. I had to know

you were more than a creature of strength and desires.


As she goes to hug him again her necklace comes loose. It is a crucifix, Calvin sees it and recoils. My Lady smiles at him.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Use your brain Calvin. You swam through a lake

of holy fire and survived.


CALVIN

I don’t understand? I should be dead?


MY LADY

Your strength kept you alive and your doubt

saved you my dear. Our kind have been

around since long before these

Christians. How could their symbols harm us?


As she speaks Calvin’s face begins to heal. His features begin to reappear from under the smoking scars.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

That’s it. Restore yourself. Heal these unnecessary scars.


As she speaks he reaches up and takes hold of her crucifix. There is a moment where a sound of burning flesh can be heard, but is quickly replaced by silence as Calvin’s breathing returns to normal and his skin continues to heal, faster and faster.


CALVIN

All lies. The blood, the craziness, the crosses?


MY LADY

Tell a lie often enough and it will become the

truth Calvin. Some of our kind sought to control

us and began to invent these lies. I and a

few others fought them, but lost. I am

now the last of those who oppose the lies,

or perhaps you and I are the last.


CALVIN

But if all that we know is lies, then what about sunlight?


Calvin completes his healing, but looks exhausted. Laying naked in My Lady’s arms, a thin fuzz of hair on his head. Karlson gets a blanket and covers him with it.


MY LADY

The War was old even before I was made. So much

knowledge was lost in that struggle. So many died,

including the most ancient among us. So even

as I joined the War, no one was sure if day light

was a legend or a truth. Unfortunately how does one explore

such a conundrum?


CALVIN

How old are you really My Lady?


My Lady laughs gently.


MY LADY

Hush now my friend. You need to rest. You

have a long journey ahead.


Calvin looks at her questioningly but his exhaustion takes over and he falls asleep. My Lady lifts him up as if he was weightless and carries him into the darkness. Karlson follows her with a candle, which shows a bed. My Lady places Calvin on the bed and covers him lovingly with the blanket.

Karlson places the candle near the bed. My Lady looks up at Karlson’s face, there are the beginnings of tears in her eyes.


MY LADY (CONT’D)

Thank you My Heart.


Karlson hugs her and then they walk back to their chairs. They sit and stare at each other in contentment


PART FOUR


No comments:

Post a Comment